Old August 26th 04, 03:32 PM
Glen A Stromquist

Gordon Moat wrote:
Glen A Stromquist wrote:

Leo wrote:

Thought this might be of interest.

Pretty cool way to create 360 degree images.

http://www.360imagetech.com/how_it_works.html

Pretty cool, but wouldnt it be a lot cheaper to take overlapping images
and stich them together with one of the many cheap/free stitching
programs out there?

I agree with you on that. I recently got ArcSoft Panorama Maker 3 for under
$20, and it does this very easily.

I would also think there'd be less of the wide-angle distortion as well,
but then again you get the distortion where the images are joined anyway...

Also, the resolution of a single image will be much less than having several
frames to stitch together. I wonder if they sell many of these. The only thing
more expensive is a Seitz Roundshot.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

I guess it all depends on what you want to do, someone mentioned video
but I didnt see any mention of that on the page, but perhaps I wasnt
looking close enough...

In the little image stitching I have done I found there was distortion
of sorts at the seams when doing pano's of close objects, like a room or
a deck, but for a 360 shot of my yard for example, there was none that
was noticeable. In fact with the stiching method a guy can have some
fun, in one experiment I had my daughters stand in each frame and wave
at the camera, when running the image thru a program like pano2exe it
was kinda cool, aka cheep special effects! I also thought about having a
4 frame 360 pano of my home & yard, one frame in each season, but so
far havent had the patience to get it started....

cheers