Old September 13th 04, 03:02 AM
Paul Butzi

(Michael Scarpitti) wrote in message . com...
"Jan T" wrote in message li.nl...

Second drawback: tonality: a negative developped to be printed on #2 and
printed on #2 has a different tonality than a negative wich is developped
softer and printed on a higher grade. Don't ask me why, but Adams knew why.
And I believe Ralph W. Lambrecht has given a good explanation in "Way Beyond
Monochrome".

It really should make no significant difference. See below.

See:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/zoneVC.htm

Acording to Paul Butzi, developing less and printing with higher
contrast paper gives essentially the same tonal distribution. He
states:

Paul Butzi: "Let's start with the biggie - Tonal distribution. I
believe that if you closely examine the scans above, you'll see
differences in the tonal distribution of each print. Remember, the
original scene (the step wedge) was exactly the same for each print,
so any differences we find are from the changes in development and
print contrast.

Paul Butzi: "From visual examination, the print from N-2 development
and the print from N development are identical in tonal distribution.
The contrast of the highlights and lowlights, and the contrast and
tone of the mid-tones, are all the same."

Please bear in mind that my results are quite specifically linked to
one film (Tmax-100) and to two specific papers, Kodak PolyMax IIrc and
Ilford MGIV fb.

On my web page, I quite clearly state : "Several questions remain - do
this results apply to other films as well? TMX in TMax-RS developer
produces a very linear film characteristic curve. If the film curve
changes shape with changes in development, then there would also be
the effect of the change in film curve to factor in. Different VC
papers have different tonal distributions, and different changes in
curve shape as you adjust contrast. "

I then go on to say "It seems unlikely that the results here can be
generalized to other films, film developers, etc."

I'd appreciate it if you would stop misrepresenting the results of my
testing. It's damn annoying to have to correct you constantly.

-Paul
www.butzi.net