Old August 21st 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Default Compression in JPEG files in digital cameras

HEMI-Powered wrote:

Both ordinary JPEG and TIFF are both 8-bit. I only mentioned
TIFF, either the uncompressed kind or LZW, as an alternative to
the OP or any lurkers who want a simpler lossless file system
than RAW,

TIFF is not fixed to a given bit depth. I often create 16-bit TIFF images.
The compression type is not limitted in TIFF either. Photoshop will create
16-bit images and use no compression, LZW compression or ZIP compression.
TIFF can be used with ANY compression algorithm if it is built that way ...
there are just no clients that support it. Also, keep in mind that DNG,
adobe's digital negative, a RAW format, also is based on the TIFF format.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked.