Old December 21st 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Pudentame

Default End of an Era

jeremy wrote:
Well, many of us sensed that it was coming.

Pentax had been a longtime user of Hoya optical glass, but to see Hoya
swallow Pentax us is disconcerting.

These mergers nearly always result in big changes, and I would not be
surprised if the "Pentax" name disappears entirely over the next few years.

Actually, the "Pentax" name is one of the more valuable things Hoya's
getting from the deal. I expect they'll be keeping it at least in the
photography business.

The driving factor behind the merger appears to be Pentax and Hoya
combining their efforts in the medical imaging field.