Old November 29th 06, 12:53 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Erik Richard Sørensen

Default Minimal software to download Canon PowerShot to Mac?

Hei Peter

Peter J E Brunning wrote:
I was interested in this topic as my daughter has been asking a similar
question about a Canon Digital Ixus 300 (about 5 years old) and her Windows
XP laptop. Apparently it does not work as a standard USB drive, though my
son says he used it that way (maybe he had some extra software?) We need to
investigate when she returns from a trip away.

Anyway, I just tried my new Ixy Digital 60 (Japanese model; same as Digital
Ixus 65 and PowerShot SD630 Digital Elph) without any special Canon software
on my Windows XP PC - and it works. One can just 'open' it from the Explorer
or use the camera and scanner wizard. (The Canon CD has not been opened
though I admit I have some Panasonic software from my other camera.)

The IXUS 300 should work on both Macs and PCs without installing any of
the Canon software. - But you need to select 'PC mode' on the camera
display.

Connect the camera to the USB port and turn it on. Then there should
occour 2-3 possible choices - 'Camera' and 'PC mode' are the most
common, but on some cameras there also is a possibility of connecting
directly to a TV with capability of showing pictures.

I think this proves that at least some Canon cameras support USB mass
storage, but it's possible that not all do. So before Greg makes such a
sweeping criticism, it might be more helpful and polite to be sure of his
facts.

As I've now written more times, I haven't yet seen a Canon - or Nikon,
Panasonic, Kyocera or Olympus made camera - that can't be used on any
system from Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2, OS X 10.0.x to 10.4.x as well as Windows
98SE to XP without installing any extra software. - They do work 'out of
the box'!

Cheers, Erik Richard

"G.T." wrote in message
Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as HDs
when connected...

Digital Rebels and Powershots don't do USB mass storage, I didn't think
the other models did either. It's one of the lame things about Canons.

I generally trust your posts but this is the second time you've spouted
major, easy to check bull****.

--
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC

*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing http://www.nisus.com