Old November 19th 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts[_2_]

Default photographer-takes-adobe-to-court-for-deleting-photos-worth-250k

On 19/11/18 15:39, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 19 November 2018 14:45:21 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/11/18 14:02, Whisky-dave wrote:

Google design redundancy in at a server level

why bother if they could use SSDs.

Because when scaling to 10000s of servers, even a few percent savings of
costs amounts to a *lot* of capital.

For a professional (or keen amateur) user, even a premium of 100-odd%
extra is unlikely to amount to a huge amount in absolute terms. It's
like giving your dinner guests Lidl digestives because they're cheaper
than After Eights.

and at a high factor (ie
they'll tolerate more that one device in a group failing.

and that's the way backups should be done/kept.
I bought an external 4TB for £85 last week.
How much would I need to spend to get 4TB of SSD ?

I bought a 1/2 TB for £80 internal.

So I would have needed to spend about ~£1600 + a PSU for a similar SSD.

Rubbish. And you have the cheek to tell me I don't know what I'm talking
about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ext.../dp/B078STRHBX

£180 for 1TB.

That's a decent make (I have 2), fast and reliable. I have never had a
Sandisk flash product fail on me, whereas I have had several spinning
hard drives fail from a similar number of units I have bought for home use.

Little over 2x to lose the whole mechanical aspect - also more compact,
lighter, faster.

I'd rather have multiple HDs than rely on one SSD.

This only translates to backups *if* you are prepared to back up to
several spinning disks.

why wouldn't I be.

Because lots of people can barely manage to maintain a simple regime let
alone one that requires making multiple copies of the same data.

Most normal people struggle with backing things up at all.

you mean sub-normal people like yourself.

Says the one arguing the toss and resorting to ad-hom because he's lost
the argument.

I have an excellent backup regime. I use SSDs for primary, SD for
secondary (which gets pulled for a batch, then replaced back in its box)
and Tresorit which is automatic with no intervention on my part and puts
a copy of my data in Switzerland.

Anyway - welcome to the KF - You can argue with yourself. Anyone
sensible can take my advice, leave it or adapt it to the way that suits
them.

--
Email does not work