Old November 19th 18, 01:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default photographer-takes-adobe-to-court-for-deleting-photos-worth-250k

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

They are prone to damage
due to shock (handling and dropping) and if used for offline archival
purposes, run the risk of seizing if left unpowered for long periods
(years).

So, it is possible to eliminate these problems to some.

1/ DO NOT practice juggerling with hard drives, stick to balls and those
items designed for that purpose.
2/ Like cars if you want them to last a lifetime then routine checks are
requred leave a tank of gas in your car for 10+ years and it's unlikely to
start.

Why add to your risk? I'm recognising the real world - people do
bang/drop/shock things like this.

no they don't.

it also doesn't matter, since drives are rated for 300g shock:
https://www.wd.com/content/dam/wdc/w...ssets/eng/spec
_data_sheet/2879-800022.pdf

People have a hard enough time
actually backing stuff up -

separate problem.

so I would always recommend the most robust
device (which has the least moving parts) for a job like this.

ssds are not 'the most robust' and are *not* a good choice for backup.

If you're happy with that, that's upto you.

I'm telling you all what *I* do and what *I* recommend.

if you regularly bang drives, you're not in a position to be
recommending *anything*.

if someone broke it what items are they most likely to steal, well provided
they were looking for tech and not jewlery & cash ehat would they take otr what are
you most likely lose.

That's why you put your good stuff on 2 devices, one at another location
- or one in the cloud...

have multiple copies of everything (not just the 'good stuff'), with at
least one off site and one in the cloud. the more the merrier.

should any one copy fail, there are others. replace the failed drive
and update. an ssd is a complete waste of money and its speed
advantages are completely lost.