Old March 17th 14, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_4_]

Default D300 took years to fall to 1/2 price. D7000 took months.

On 3/16/2014 5:26 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , me
wrote:

Do you KNOW how many Nikon users are enraged that a D400 was never
produced??

it was called the d7000/7100.

Having just picked up a 7100 this week, as my D200/D300 each exhibit
various fallings, I would say it is immediately apparent upon picking
it up that it not in the class a 400 would be.

what features would you put in a d400 that the d7100 lacks?

Bigger buffer, real weather sealing, better release mechanism on the
door to flash memory, controls layout similar to D200/300. It reminds
me of the my old D70. The release mode dial and lock button are quite
difficult to operate even with very thin Head digital activity gloves
on. Forget about operating it with any real gloves on. Doesn't even
have a way to use a snap on monitor protector. Heck, the D70 even had
one of those.

This is just after one morning's shooting.

What nospam, no come back?

the weather sealing is the same as a d300. the buffer isn't as big, but
that's rarely an issue in most situations. the control layout and door
mechanism are *very* subjective and slrs are a rule are hard to use
with gloves anyway.

nikon decided to position a camera above the top selling d70/d80/d90
series that's in many ways a successor for the d200/d300 (not all, nor
does it need to be all).

they also positioned the d600 for roughly what the d400 would likely
have been. it many ways, it is also a successor to the d300 series.

in other words, the d300 split into something a little above and a
little below, with both being successors. thats a good thing. now the
user has a choice of two paths.

there would have been a lot of overlap had there been a d400 and given
the success of the d7000/d7100, they chose well.

Ah! The marketing expert speaks yet again.

--
PeterN