Old February 16th 04, 12:59 AM
Ken Smith

Default Contact paper question

(Collin Brendemuehl) wrote in message . com...
Ok, now that LF is taking my free time it's time to get
contact printing (& enlarging as well) done right.
Or at least to understand it more fully.

So, let's pursue 8x10 contact printing for now.
1. Is there a "best" contact printing paper?
1.1 Any online examples of AZO vs. whatever, to show the difference?

2. Do chemicals make any difference here?

Any other things to look at that you can think of?

TIA,

Collin

I've worked with the Azo for a year now, and while it is a beautiful
paper, I honestly don't think it's differences are always preferable.
It has a slighter longer tonal range, but you might find you don't
always like the look. I've done it in amidol developer, which is not
absolutely necessary. Some say Agfa Neutol WA is a great paper
developer for Azo. Normal papers can be quite satisfying, and Azo,
shouldn't be necessary, though it does have it's charms. If you are
like me, you'll have to see for yourself. Nothing over the web is
going to really tell its qualities. At its price, including the amidol,
I am likely headed back to a regular fiber. I like Ilford Multigrade.
For alot of Azo information, and a forum see: Michael A. Smith & Paula
Chamlee's Website. They be the Azo gods.

Ken