Old April 15th 21, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Insure your cameras and lenses like your phone?

In article , Incubus wrote:

Incubus:
As part of my household contents insurance policy, I have
declared certain items that I take outside of the house
including my laptop, camera and lenses. The extra premium is
negligible. It won't cover items left in a car, however. Doing
that is asking for trouble.

Sandman:
Surely it covers it if its left in the trunk or glove compartment?

They are classed as personal possessions that are with me and not
left unattended. Other policies might be different but there's no
way I'd leave anything of mine in a car in the first instance.

Home insurance in Sweden always covers theft of personal possessions,
regardless of their whereabouts. They can deny compensation if you've left
your laptop on the seat of your car of course, you have to at least try to
make it inaccessible.

I mean, if you bring your camera to a party and when not using it you stow it
away in your camera bag in the closet with your clothes, and it gets stolen -
surely your home insurance would cover that?

It's not just your camera, if you bring your a change of clothes to a
masquerade and someone steals them, you should be covered. I just find it odd
that an insurance wouldn't cover your belongings just because they weren't
physically in your house. I can think of a number of scenarios where you
would bring items that are usually stationary in your house to somewhere else
and I would hate the feeling of my insurance not covering it just because I
took it out of the house.

--
Sandman