Old April 14th 21, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Insure your cameras and lenses like your phone?

I’ll start by saying that I know that insurance in general is a bad bet.
But I got a pretty good deal on an expensive new phone, and decided to look
into a protection plan. Akko (https://app.getakko.com/) offers a plan for
$9/month, but that’s not the important thing. You can get another plan for
$14/month if paid annually, and it will insure your phone *plus* 24 other
items of your choosing. The insurance is generally for theft, damage, and
some failures (usually with $100 deductible), but you can see more on their
website.

So I figured that I could insure all of my expensive stuff that is often in
my car, which includes the iPad, and expensive cameras and lenses, and my
MacBook. But I can also add expensive music gear, even if it is never going
to be in my car.

I’m posting this for a couple of reasons: first to sort of recommend
looking into this, especially if you tend to carry pricey camera gear in your
car, but also to ask if anyone has an opinion on this, or is familiar with
this company. They have been around only since around 2018, so there are
certainly some risks. It would seem that they are opening themselves up to
endless scamming, but they also seem to have protections in place. You pretty
much have to prove that everything you insure is yours, and that it is in
good condition, and they are stricter with some things than others (MacBook
for instance).

And it’s not limited to camera gear or certain electronics. And I’m
assuming that drones would be included.