Old May 16th 12, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Mxsmanic writes:

David Dyer-Bennet writes:

I do not agree; most especially with a basic color filter, which does
nothing more than blocking some amounts of some colors of light -- a
classic case of "removing information" if there ever was one.

The filter removes information selectively--information that is fundamental to
the image. You use a red filter because you want to make the sky artificially
dark, not because you want to keep its luminance natural.

In fact, the removal of the information is fundamental to that image.

As we have already established, not everybody agrees on what "useful"
uses of color-rendering filters are, so blanket statements about why
people use them are probably untrue. Furthermore, people doing
something other than art photography may make VERY different choices --
forensic and scientific photography for example.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info