Old March 9th 12, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

Default Nikon Uses Canon 5D2 Footage To Promote D800

On 9/03/2012 10:11 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article8f8a0528-d7a2-48ae-9ab6-22d64eb1bd91
@f4g2000yqh.googlegroups.com, says...

On Mar 6, 3:56 pm, wrote:
On 5/03/2012 1:03 AM, Annika1980 wrote:

This is hilarious!

http://fstoppers.com/omg-nikon-uses-...age-to-promote...

They'd be scraping the barrel for that lot. It's not unusual to hire
contractors to shoot footage you know?

I've seen the results from D800 video and they blow any 5D stuff out of
the water. Project it on a big screen cinema and Canon hasn't got a hope
of getting close to it.

Chloe

The Canon C300 says hi. Horses for courses.

Not really. It may say "hi" to the Red Epic but it's not saying "hi" to
the D800 or the 5DMkII. Priced in a different range. The 5DMkII is
already being used to make big-budget movies. Was used in "Iron Man
II" and "Captain America" to name two, and might have been used in the
last Harry Potter. It's also a favorite of independents because it's
cheap, which the C300 is not.

Well you're right about the big budget movies... Up to a point. They are
used for pilot scenes. "Shoot the scene with a DSLR and lets see how we
can improve it before we do the real shoot".

I'm afraid to say that the rolling shutter destroys all VDSLRs for
serious footage. Maybe one day they'll get over it but for now only
pilots and a few commercial get made with DSLRs.

I've used one to make a couple of cheap commercials. One had cyclists in
it and no one noticed the odd lean on lamp posts until it got to the
station and one of the editors remarked... "Holy Sh#t this was shot with
DSLR. Julie... Check the time base on it".

For those who don't know, all analogue TV broadcasts have to be timebase
corrected to comply with broadcast standards. Digital is already running
clean and doesn't matter about the subtleties of analogue transmissions.
Chloe