Old September 29th 05, 03:17 PM
Peter

Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
Peter wrote:

You know, sometimes words have two meanings.

Most of us can live with slang terminology and standard technical
terminology without getting particularly confused. Slang terminology
can be very handy: I'm not going to stop saying "Hypo" when I know
that fixer is actually thiosulphate. It isn't very likely that someone

Not to be pedantic, but I think you mean "Jargon" not "Slang".

Actually you are being pedantic, saying "not to be pedantic"
in front of a sentence doesn't make it so.

I looked up "slang" and "jargon" in several dictionaries,
and at least some of the meanings are nearly interchangable.
I chose "slang" because I wanted to emphasize the non-standard
nature of the vocabulary rather than any lack of intelligibility
to outsiders.

Peter.