Old December 5th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default Infrared Photography Competition

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" writes:
Bill Again wrote:

Not necessarily so. Many digital cameras can take IR pictures using
the relevant filters. You can check if your digital camera can detect
IR light by shining the TV remote towards the camera lens. When the
remote is "on" you should see the glow from the sender when you look
at it through the VF.

With a DSLR????

Of course not - the way Bill Again describes the test only works
if the camera has an EVF.

But you can do the same test with a DSLR by taking a photograph
of a tv-remote while somebody presses a button on it that makes
it emit IR. When you review the image on the review screen,
you'll see the IR glow described.

Hi Gang,

Yup, as Gisle said, his site and mine have lists of cameras that work.
In fact since I started testing for IR ability I have not found one
digital camera. from a compact that you have to hold the IR filter over
the lens to a dSLR that could not take some lovely shots in IR. Have a
look at the examples on Gisle's site or the IR section on mine:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/digitalir/digitalir.php
for articles on how it works, what you need and lots of examples from a
list of 22 cameras (currently).

Cheers,

Wayne

--