Old November 15th 05, 07:43 PM
no_name

Default Predictions - longevity of MF film

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Chris Brown" wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Chris Brown" wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:

For the nonce, though, 6x7 is better than digital can dream of, even
scanned
with an Epson 4990.

Surely nonces[1] would prefer digital? Less chance of the processor
reporting them to the police.

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce

That's not what it means on my side of the pond...

Another one of these "separated by a common language" things, it seems,
but
one that's got more potential for embarassment than most. ;-)

What's amusing is that a lot of those are the US retaining older meanings,
but you guys coming up with new uses that we don't adopt.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

OED has the same first definition as Websters:

OED = for the nonce for the present; temporarily.
Websters = the one, particular, or present occasion, purpose, or use
for the nonce

The OED does list the slang as a second definition.