Old November 2nd 05, 07:43 PM
King Sardon

Default Personal boycot of Lithium Ion batteries

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:43:05 -0500, "SimonLW" wrote:

The Lio-ion in my Dell notebook (only 2 years old) now only runs it for
10-15 minutes. About $200 to get a new one. The Sony Cybershot camera at
work, the Info lithium battery I get low battery warning after recharging
$50 to replace. My Fuji 6800, the Lithium was no good after three years.
I've tried some off brands for less $$, but they don't seem hold the charge
as the OEM. The $35 I bought as a spare form my 6800 never was that great
and it quit running the camera after 1 year.

They are expensive and have a short life span. From this point on, I'm going
with cameras that will take AA, or have the AA option in the vertical hand
grip (DSLRs). With AA's I can carry a couple spares without the cost of the
second lithium. And in a pinch, I can go buy Alkalines just about anywhere.
I can get 150 shots from alkalines PS camera or 300+ with Ni-Mh.

Well that's my rant. Perhaps Lithium longevity will improve. Don't the
hybrid cars use lithium batteries? Can't imagine the cost of replacing that
thing in three years!
-S

Yeah....

Lithium ions don't like being discharged, contrary to what you might
expect for a battery. Running off the Li-ion will reduce its life.
Consider plugging in your laptop (phone, etc.) when possible to spare
the battery. (However, heat buildup running this way can harm the
battery.)

To get maximum life out of a new Li-ion, do the charge-discharge
routine to condition the battery if that is recommended for your
battery type.
http://www.intelligentbatteries.com/XX_Tips.htm

Useful info on extending life he
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Mebbe check with Dell to see if the battery might be under recall...
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...recall/en/main

K.S.