Old August 12th 05, 04:34 AM
Sheldon

"Little Green Eyed Dragon" wrote
in message
I having an increasingly problematic time related to
dust on my sensor, I use the camera a lot probably on the
order of 10,000 images since its purchase and have had it
for about 1 year. I change the lens on occasion, in any event
I have the power adapter and started out using a blower to
remove the loose dust, but the problem continues and got worse.

So I coughed up the 60.00 for sensor swipes and fluid and proceeded.
I have used just about the whole box and still lots of dust. Some guy at
the camera store suggested putting a single drop of fluid on the sensor
directly and I did it but the dust remains although it moves from place
to place,.... I don't believe there are any scratches "yet"

Another suggestion from someone else was to use canned air
which the manual says specifically not to do. Has anyone successfully
tried this or has success with some other approach. I am probably going
send my D70 body back to Nikon, and get a number 2 body,...but I would
like to hear some feed back if possible here.

TIA.

I always start with a big hand blower, then...

I use the Pec Pads and one of those already cut down spatulas that I bought.
I think the secret is using the correct amount of fluid and the correct
amount of pressure. I use 3 drops on the pad and work quickly. I've heard
the pressure is about the same you would use if writing. One swipe across
at the top of the sensor, when I get to the other edge I move the pad
straight down (don't lift it yet), tip it a bit the other way, and then
sweep the bottom of the sensor. When I get back to the side I started at I
lift it straight up.

Sometimes it takes more than one cleaning (always use a fresh pad a fluid)
and it doesn't have to be perfect. Most small spots you won't notice unless
you shoot a perfectly blue sky or white wall at a smaller aperture.

And, keep in mind that Nikon does not recommend this method of cleaning, at
least for the consumer, although other manufacturers do.

Be careful, but don't give up. It does work.

Sheldon