Old November 7th 04, 12:47 AM
John Ewing

"Fred" wrote in message
news:1J9jd.1037$mL1.174@trnddc08...
I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
and
battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to measure
the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera is
off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say 100
to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).

Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
John