Old August 19th 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Nora

In article ,
sid wrote:

Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen
do ;-)

Haha, drunk Dave tries to make a spelling flame! That's HILARIOUS!

And, as usual when making a spelling flame, you messed up the grammar:

"like what me and the queen do".

Ironic.

The trouble with setting your self up as an English expert is that as a non
native English speaker you just do not "get" the jist, not for the first
time, of what is being said to you.
For starters it was not a spelling flame but a grammar flame and secondly
Dave wrote perfectly correctly for the meaning he was conveying.

Not only have I set myself up as an "expert" of anything, but you're
also incorrect. Removing non-qualifying parts of the sentence:

"you don't speak English like what I do"

Is not a properly formatted English sentence. "What" is a relative
pronoun here that does not relate to anything else in the sentence as
constructed. "Speak" is a verb, and is referenced with an adverb, like
"how".

"you don't speak English like I do"
"you don't speak English how I do"
"you don't speak English the way I do"

Are all correct. And thus the correct version would be:

"You don't speak proper English like me and the Queen"

No adverb or pronoun is even needed. But if you insist:

"You don't speak proper English like how me and the Queen does it"

Also note the punctuation and capitalisation:

Drunk Dave:
"Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the
queen do"

Actual English:
"Nice pics. Pity you don't speak proper English like me and the
Queen"

I'm not an expert, but I'm not stupid either. There is a middle road

--
Sandman[.net]