Old March 2nd 05, 12:59 PM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that Big Bill stated that:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:08:45 +1100, Lionel wrote:
Actually, it /is/ Googles problem, because the troll is posting from
Google itself, not from some random news service, & Google is preventing
victims of the troll's defamatory posts from taking legal action against
the troll.

[I should also have added here that Google refuse to enforce their
TOS/AUP against their problem-users. If they did, this situation
wouldn't have gotten as bad as it has.]

If the trail ends at an ISp that doesn't control who uses it as an
open relay, then Google, if subpoenaed, would run into that same dead
end, wouldn't it?
So how is Google preventing victims from finding the perp?

Other than anonymous news gateways, (which don't permit their users to
impersonate others), Google is the only news provider I know of that
permits totally anonymous, non-authenticated posting privileges via open
proxies, with a unenforced AUP/TOS, & as many free accounts (&
identities) as a person can find time to create. This combination of
'features' makes Google a nirvana for spammers & psychos.