Old December 10th 04, 03:17 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , ThomasH
wrote:

Besides I believe that your conclusion about specifically a
problem with Nikon US does not touch the real problem, which
is a downfall of American customer service quality due to
outsourcing to foreign countries and letting service being
made by lowest paid workforce.

I think it's more along the lines that the concepts of "repair" and
"service" have fallen into disfavor - you're supposed to buy a new one!

Face it, most of the stuff we buy is NOT designed to be fixed - the
customer who want a repair done is an annoying aberration.

The last truly satisfying service interactions I've had were with Leitz
and Bang & Olufsen - and note that in both cases, I had to ship the
items to europe to be worked on.

My general rules of thumb (except for the two companies above) a

1. Never to use the "factory" service depot unless required by warranty.
2. Paradoxically, make sure the place you use is factory authorized.
3. Extensively photograph the item immediately before service.
4. Prepare a printed list stating what you want done; and if possible,
have their employee sign it.
5. Examine the item for cosmetic damage IMMEDIATELY on receipt, and
test for correct operation ASAP.

Not too long ago, I had Apple Computer actually dent the metal housing
of a laptop sent in for upgrade - then try to tell me their "Warranty
doesn't cover cosmetic issues" And I worked for them at the time!