Old October 29th 04, 02:00 AM
Richard Tomkins

1. Digital camera hotshoes are susceptible to being blown and thus damaging
the camera from a large firing voltage on the external flash unit. The
general consensus seems to be 12VDC or less. I have two Vivitars, one has a
6VDC trigger and the other has a 45VDC trigger.

2. I have experienced similar things to yours with my 5700. Some pictures
are ok, some very dark. As you have noted the camera measures the reflected
light through a sensor built into the pop-up flash. It seems to me, that the
moment it figures out it has had enough light, then that is the end of the
picture taking. So, the sensor in the pop-up controls the amount of light
given for the exposure, the simulated shutter speed must be fixed at some
setting, maybe 1/60th or even 1/100th of a second. With the addedd flash,
you get more flash than the camera is set for and the sensor shuts the
camera down right away.

3. An experiment would be to obscure the pop-up sensor with something, a
hand maybe, and see what the results look like.