Old January 8th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Default hawk

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
[...]

Captive or not, it's still a good photo, (good detail & composition).
I have taken a few photos at raptor shows etc, but just because they
are captive doesn't make them any easier to capture in flight!

Are you kidding? Sure it does.

My point in posting the picture was really just to show what the 30D
can do. The fact that the bird was captive helped me find it, but it
was still soaring pretty quickly (Birds do that!), and, actually,
constantly readjusting its flight in the wind, too. The AF kept up,
the 3/sec burst mode was helpful, and the 8Mpix was enough to produce
the image. (Coming from slides, which effectively have some 10x as
much resolution, I was concerned.) I'm pretty sure I set the exposure
manually, though.

And yes, I'm using the 30D, not the D30, though I can't for the life
of my understand why Canon chose to release cameras with such similar
names.

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman