Old January 8th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Default hawk

Mick Harris wrote:
"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.

Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's
auto-focus kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the
sensor shows the details of the bird's wings. You can almost
imagine the bird has an angry look on its face. Or maybe it's
just determination....
Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove
A tad washed out.

I took the picture during a live raptor show at the Arizona-Sonora
Desert Museum, a marvelous mostly outdoor museum that offers, among
other things, a demonstration of raptor flight. The birds, though at
least domesticated, fly around at full speed through the desert. (I
was also lucky enough to see a wild red-tailed hawk and some deer
while I was driving around Arizona.)

The point of the photo has less to do with the nature of the bird
than the impressive capabilities of the D30.

-Joel

Captive or not, it's still a good photo, (good detail & composition).
I have taken a few photos at raptor shows etc, but just because they
are captive doesn't make them any easier to capture in flight!

Are you kidding? Sure it does.
You are being told that in one minute, a raptor will fly to such and such a
place.
In nature, there is no such predictability.

It's not a bad shot, but let's be honest about the difference between
captive and wild.
It ain't the same thing...

I was offered a red-tailed hawk only a couple of weeks ago (to buy)
but as much as I would have loved to have one, I just did not have the
space or time
to look after it properly.
I did get a few pics of a red-tailed hawk aprox 10 yrs ago, as when I
was out for a walk
one day, I met someone who was flying one.
Anyway, all the best, and good luck with your D30.
Mick

Is that a D30 (year 2000) or a 30D (2006)?
I'm assuming it's a new 30D.
I had the D30 before it met this violent death off a cliff in Arches
National Park...
....and I can assure you that its AF left much to be desired.
(Even prior to the death plunge)

www.pbase.com/markuson