Old March 27th 18, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 08:36:51 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I do the same thing, but would note that PSP5,
which I still use for most things, was not shareware.
(I did get PSP4 for free once with a router. But as
I recall, PS5 and PSP5 were dramatic changes,
providing mulitple undo for the first time.

I paid $100 for it in '99. But it can be found for free
now. It never had any kind of activation key to
begin with. Like a lot of software back then, you
just had to have a disk to install it.

I now have PSP5 and 16. I use 16 occasionally
but 5 for most basic things.

I just opened PSP 5.
It says:

Paint Shop Pro Version 5.01 Evaluation (JASC)

Build Information:
Build Date Jun 11 1998 @ 09:07:49
Build Mode Release (5000102)

Maybe that's not "Shareware" but it was free, as an evaluation.
20 years later, it still works, and I have never seen any limitations. I
just see a nag screen when it loads telling me to register it.

(I wont discount the possibility I got a cracked copy).

I actually run it in Windows 98. I use Win98 for almost all my graphic
editing, simply because it works and is easy to use.

I also have
PSP 3.12 (32bit)
PSP 4.14
PSP 5.01
PSP 7.0

Installed on the same computer.

I like the screen capture in 3.12 better than in other versions.

I use 4.14 most of the time, for just basic editing. It's simple, and I
like that.

5.01 has features I like and use, but 4.14 is easier to use.

Version 7.0 was commercial, but I found it online for free, so I have
it, but rarely use it.

All of these run fine on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.
(Beyond that, I dont know. I have never used any MS OS beyond XP)

And then I also have Photoshop 5.0. (registered)

That also works on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.

Thats all I really use (or need). I tried Gimp, and removed it.