Old August 4th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
[email protected]

Default Canon PowerShot S80 Problem \ Repair Needed

I have had a Canon S80 for over a year and really like it.

As of last night, my Canon S80 stopped being able to take pictures.

I slide the lenscap back and the lens does not pop out.
The camera appears to not be powered on.

Other features still work. i.e. with the lens cap closed.
For instance, the "play"/view photos feature and LCD still work.
I still can interface with my computer through the USB port.

I just can't take pictures because the lens cap sliding open wont
activate the camera anymore.

The lens cap seems to be correctly aligned and seems to be sliding
back and forth correctly.

It is likely just the switch that gets information from the lens cap
and activates the camera "on".

Has anyone encountered this problem before?
Has anyone tried to take apart a Canon S80 before?
Does anyone have the service manual?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
John