Old July 22nd 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
ray

Default Canon S3 or S5....?

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:00:02 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

"Rohit" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am having canon A310 and learning photography using it, and now
planing to get other new one. I have seen Canon PowerShot S3 IS and
S5, now confuse between these two. Or if you already know any other
good model which helps more in learning, please let me know. I'd sure
appreciate a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

~Rohit

NT: Please route me to correct group if I have posted in wrong group.

I have the Canon S2 IS which is very similar to the S3, and have found it a
very good camera for its type, given the limitations of the type. The main
shortcoming in my opinion is the electronic viewfinder, which is quite
coarse -- but this tends to be the case with this type of camera. I'm not at
all familiar with the S5.

The Kodak EVFs have an electronic viewfinder with about twice the
resolution - over 200k pixels - makes a BIG difference. Recently, there
are some other manufacturers making EVF cameras with higher res
viewfinders.

Another camera that would be very suitable for learning about photography is
Nikon's Coolpix P5000, which I don't own yet but probably will before long.
However, the P5000 is not a superzoom like the S3, and does not have the
articulated LCD monitor either. If the superzoom feature is important to
you, I'd suggest you look at Panasonic's Lumix FZ models which are
excellent. I have an older Panasonic FZ15 which I like better than the
Canons, though this is just a matter of personal preference. Panasonic's new
FZ8 is a very attractive superzoom at the price, but does not have the
articulated LCD of the Canon S2 and S3, which may or may not be important to
you. Any of the models mentioned would be suitable for your stated purpose
of learning about photography, and of course many other models would as
well. Everyone has their own preferences.

The Kodak P series is also worth a look. In addition to above mentioned
higher res viewfinder, also has IS, full manual mode, saves as jpeg, tiff,
or raw.

Because there isn't very much activity here on
rec.photo.digital.point+shoot, I have taken the liberty of cross-posting
this to rec.photo.digital where you will probably find many more useful
opinions.

Neil