Old November 27th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Need help selecting digital camera

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
McPhotos wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

www.dpreview.com is a very good place for you to winnow your
choices.

For good prints at 5x7 and reasonable at 8x10 consider a camera
with about 300 dpi potential output:

5 x 300 = 1500
7 x 300 = 2100 X

= ~ 3 Mpixels.

So any 4 or 5 Mpix camera that otherwise meets your needs should
suffice.

Cameras do not have dpi output. Digital images are composed of
pixels,

Please read more carefully next time.

You simply don't get it, or you're too arrogant to admit you're wrong.
Neither is becoming.

Please read below very carefully.

The tie in is his desire for 7x5 prints and the arithmetic provided
(and restored above) makes the link clear enough.

The conclusion is all right, but you're confused on dots and pixels;
always have been.

Not at all. I am not confused. Merely redacting what is of little use
to the OP.

Rather than being anally precise about terms, I focused on what seems to
be important to the OP ... somebody who probably is not all that
interested in what happens between the shutter click and the printer.
And that's what I refer to: how well will the sensor translate to the
printer. Explaining all the interim crap in the middle is of no value
to anyone, least of all this OP.

So, John, at due risk of falling in your killfile,

F U C K O F F

O N T H I S I S S U E.

Cheers,
Alan.