Old November 26th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default Need help selecting digital camera

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:08:02 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

Dave Boland wrote:
Newsgroup,

I need to get a digital camera to replace the Polorid 600, and would
appreciate any help. Some information about the camera use to help
guide the comments:

* Picture size is typically 5 in. by 7 in. some are larger.

* Budget is limited and I would like to stay at $100 (U.S.) or less.

* Features that seem important a - Easy to use is number 1, which
includes controls and menus. - Very good quality pictures (focus,
exposure, color) important. - Very reliable. - Easy to use in the
sun. I like viewfinders for this, but... - Optical zoom of 3 to 1 or
better. - Batteries that can be obtained at 'mart's is a must. - Easy
to down-load to P.C. or printer, and quickly. - Macro would be nice
for close-ups of circuit card failures. - Manual controls would be
nice, at least for some of us.

Nikon Coolpix L18 Digital Camera - $99.99 at Ritz Olympus Stylus 760
Digital Camera - $99.99 at Ritz Kodak EasyShare C913 9MP 2.5" LCD
With Free Canon Photo Printer, $79.99 at Staples Casio EX-Z9 8.1MP
Digital Camera - $99.99 at K-Mart (Thur. only) Kodak EasyShare MX1063
10MP Digital Camera w/ 3x Zoom - $89.00 Target

Thanks for any serious suggestions.

www.dpreview.com is a very good place for you to winnow your choices.

For good prints at 5x7 and reasonable at 8x10 consider a camera with
about 300 dpi potential output:

5 x 300 = 1500
7 x 300 = 2100 X

= ~ 3 Mpixels.

So any 4 or 5 Mpix camera that otherwise meets your needs should suffice.

Looking at his conditions, I would rule out the Casio because it
doesn't use AA batteries. The Olympus is not rated well at all. Of
that group, the Nikon is the most likely to produce good "macro"
photos. I'd go with the Coolpix L18.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida