Old March 21st 12, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default First time owner of a 35mm Camera

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:23:25 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" writes:
:
: David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
:
:
: I believe all the Nikkormats had vertical shutters. The Ft, which was
: quite early, is described as having a vertical shutter and 1/125 sec
: flash sync in multiple online sources, for example. I remember the FTN
: as having 1/125 sync as well, and I believe that was always a sign of
: a vertical shutter.
:
: Yes. I think the Ft was the first. It's predecssor was the Nikkorex F, which
: was made by Mamiya for Nikon. I believe the shutter was made by Copal.
:
: The Nikkormat Ftn, was an Ft with center weighted metering. This matched the
: metering of the Photomic Ftn finder on the F.
:
: The same shutter was used in all the Nikkormats (Ft, FTn, Ft2, Ft3) and an
: electronicaly timed version was used in the EL and EL2.
:
: If not the same, very similar shutters were used in the FM and FE.
:
: They did move faster; sync at 1/200 and then 1/250th.
:
: The cameras with curtain shutters (F/F2/F3) had a top flash sync of 1/90th.
:
: The F at least was 1/60, which was the common standard on all the
: horizontal cloth-curtain bodies I've owned (Miranda Sensorex, Leica M3,
: Pentax Spotmatic) and many I've read up on or examined.
:
: The F3 had 1/80 sync speed according to multiple online references (I
: never owned one).
:
: I think the F2 initiated the 1/80 sync speed, but I never owned one of
: those, either, and online references aren't quite as clear to my eyes
: (photos of F3 shutter speed dials are pretty clear).

I had an F2 (still do, I guess, but I'd have to dig it out of the closet), and
1/80 doesn't sound right to me. It may have been 1/120; but if I were a
betting man, I'd say 1/60. Before the F2, I had an S2 (1/30) and an SP
(possibly 1/60).

Bob