Old March 17th 12, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Hamblen

Default First time owner of a 35mm Camera

On 2012-03-15, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

There's much more difference than that; vertical shutters are metal
blades, whereas horizontal ones are cloth curtains.

Or titanium foil curtains.

Completely
different designs. I don't think the angle issues you're raising have
any relevance at all to why different shutters are chosen for various
cameras.

I suspect Nikon believed the horizontally running shutters in their F series
were more durable than the vertically running shutters in their compact
bodies.

I was under the impression that Nikon switched from titanium shutter
curtains to aluminum because the production of titanium is
environmentally unfriendly. I have a vague recollection of being
dismayed shortly after because another manufacturer decided to adorn
their products with a titanium finish just because it looked pretty.
Does anyone remember this or is my memory playing up as it often does?

The shutter on the FM2 changed from titanium to aluminum during its production
run. These were not "curtains" as in the F/F2/F3, however.

Bud