Old November 22nd 04, 09:17 PM
b*

"JP" wrote in message news:W5bod.176485$df2.153137@edtnps89...
Hello all,
I'm reprising a much earlier thread from 2002.
Since that date there have been no answers to the problem.
My problem with the S30 is identical to the original posters' though his was
the S40.
In addition, usually I have to open and close the cover several times to
make the lens extend.
The original thread follows.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had this exact problem with my S30. It didn't occur until I had
owned the camera for about a year. There is some kind of sensor that
is triggered when the lower half of the lens cover is pressed, making
the camera think that you are trying to close the cover, which in turn
causes the lens to retract.

My problem could be worked around by never touching the lens cover
after it was opened - an awkward solution.

In the end, I took the camera to a Canon authorized repair shop and
they fixed the problem. Perhaps it's an easily-broken part of the
camera if other people have seen the same issue.

Bruce