Old December 25th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default What exposure mode do you shoot in.

Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com wrote:

Again, shooting in modes can only lead to problems. It does not allow you
to situate the anmals, birds, fish , bugs or whatever, where you want in the
frame and meter, focus and shoot without agravation. I can get a meter
reading off the elk, moose or whatever and my information is set, I set the
camera according to what I want to do and forget about the rest leaving me to
pay more attention to exposing film and capturing moments how I see fit and
when I see fit.

Modes will only screw you up.

F1

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you park the camera at f8 for
the whole day.

When shooting anything other than long exposures, my T-90 (much better
than the lowly F1! ) lives on Av and multi-spot settings. Take a
spot reading or three, add any exposure compensation, and, after due
consideration, select the aperture I want. If the resultant shutter
speed is livable, I'm done. How on earth is this going to screw me up?

While I can see that someone using a stand-alone light meter might find
full manual just as fast, manual makes little sense (IMO) when using
flexible AV or TV TTL metering. With older cameras that won't
'transfer' exposure data when changing f-stops or shutter speed, I can
see how AV or TV might be more trouble. Perhaps this is what you're
chomping at(?)

If I had to shoot in manual mode, I'm sure I could get quite good at
transcribing the meter's f/shutter recipe to a version I prefer
(specific stop or speed). But why bother when the camera can do it all
with the twirl of a knob? (It would make a nice mental excersise, but
would also be a bit of a distraction.)

-Greg