Old January 26th 05, 06:49 PM
Alan Browne

Sheldon wrote:

Compared to my P&S, I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to play a
bit with depth of field. Really adds a lot to many photos, especially
portraits.

Then "A" or "M" mode. I say "M" 'cause I shoot portraits without TTL flash
(either studio strobes, natural light or sometimes hot lights). An incident
meter (or spot meter that can do flash as well) is of course a key tool, but
with a digital camera you can find acceptable exposure via the monitor/histogram.

If you have a lens with close focus (pref. a macro but 50mm f/1.8 isn't bad)
then there area all kinds of things you can find around the house to practice on.

Cheers,
Alan