Old June 28th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Nikon raw (*.nef) support?

On Jun 28, 3:26 am, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
My brand new Nikon D40x is my first DSLR, and also the first digicam
I've used that can output files in "raw". I think I know now what that
means, but I'm having problems actually using them.

My camera has two "raw" modes, plain raw and "raw+basic". I took the
same picture in each, then transferred the image files to my Windows XP
Pro system's hard drive.

ACDSee Photo Manager 8 and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI both claim to
support Nikon RAW files, but neither one can open the ones I have. What
are my other options? Pre-emptively for the record, Photoshop is out
of my price range, including (at least for now precisely because I just
bought this camera...) Elements.

Most programs will soon be updated to recognise it, presumably. If you
want something now, look at Helicon Filter
http://www.heliconsoft.com/
which is a nice little program. It can be used for all editing, if you
want, and has a reasonable noise reduction facility (that's what it
started life as). It also does raw conversion with one of three
methods (it either uses the Nikon SDK, dcraw, or their own
implementation of the standard algorithms). It should recognise d40x
files. I also know there is a freeware version, but that may not
include raw conversion (buying the program is, I think, 20 or 30
dollars, so not that much). Anyway, you can check on their website if
raw conversion is included in the free version.