Old June 28th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

Default Nikon raw (*.nef) support?

My brand new Nikon D40x is my first DSLR, and also the first digicam
I've used that can output files in "raw". I think I know now what that
means, but I'm having problems actually using them.

My camera has two "raw" modes, plain raw and "raw+basic". I took the
same picture in each, then transferred the image files to my Windows XP
Pro system's hard drive.

ACDSee Photo Manager 8 and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI both claim to
support Nikon RAW files, but neither one can open the ones I have. What
are my other options? Pre-emptively for the record, Photoshop is out
of my price range, including (at least for now precisely because I just
bought this camera...) Elements.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Lieutenant Commander Ivanova, escort Major Kemmer off the Observation
Dome." "With pleasure. (takes Kemmer's arm) You are going to resist, I
hope." (Cmdr. Sinclair and Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "Survivors")