Old July 8th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default Canon A570IS, 200 shots on eneloop, 10 shots on Alkaline

Chris Malcolm wrote:
SMS wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:

In my Canon Powershot AA-using A300 I only get about a dozen shots on
a cold day. But after putting the batteries in a warm pocket for five
minutes I'll get several more. And so on. If I'm shooting in the cold
I'll usually keep rotating three sets through the camera and a warm
pocket to keep the thing going.

I don't think it was too cold on this cruise. It was San Francisco,
Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Victoria, San Francisco in
late June/early July. I've been much further north in Alaska, earlier in
June, and the weather was pretty mild.

What kind of AAs was she using? Some cameras have brief high peak
surge current demands which are uncomfortably close to the maximum the
cheaper alkaline AAs can deliver. That's why lower nominal capacity
reachargeables can last so much longer than nominally much higher
capacity alkalines in some cameras. I've bought some cheap alkaline
AAs on the run which only lasted a dozen or so shots even in summer
sun.

I'll find out when I get the camera back. I guess it's possible that the
cruise line was selling some no-name AA batteries, but I doubt it.