Old May 10th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Drew Saunders

Default Everything I've always wanted to know about sodium sulfite but was afraid to ask...

In article .com,
BVStaples wrote:

Greetings all:

I recently picked up a Polaroid 545 and some film, along with the
requisite sodium sulfite and other goodies, and I have some questions
about the sodium sulfite, but cannot find the answers anywhere!

Did you try here?: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

First, is whatever I put in the tray a one-shot use, or can I use the
same solution for multiple negatives? How do I know when it's
depleted? If it's a one use situation, so be it. I do plan on shooting
and then coming home to process, rather than develop in the field.

I'm trying to remember where, but I vaguely remember that I read that 2l
of the stuff is good for up to 100 sheets of type 55.

I got a 2.5l bottle and a filtered funnel to store my sodium sulfite
solution and I've used it for about 20 sheets and, besides becoming
increasingly purple in color, it seems to work fine.

I got a Yankee developing tank with a broken top for cheap (that being
free) that works well for clearing the negatives. They're very very
easily scratched, so be careful when handling them. Also, rinse with at
least room-temperature water, not cold, it'll get the last of the gel
goo off easier.

Here's an alternate view to processing and storing type 55 that looks
interesting:

http://www.cameraartist.com/words/20...oid_55_pn.html

I don't know why perma wash would be any better than sodium sulfite.
Otherwise, what he says about cotton gloves and careful handling is
quite right. I might try the perma wash after my current batch of sodium
sulfite is used up, as it might be easier to store.

Second, once used, what's the proper disposal method? I have friends
who pour everything down the drain, and then those who recyle
everything.

I botched my first solution of sodium sulfite (when they say dissolve in
warm water and stir slowly, they mean it!) and just poured it down the
drain.

Drew

--
Drew W. Saunders