Old February 20th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearerthan the scan

Patrick Briggs wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
don't have this problem.

Do you really mean that you imported the scanned image into Adobe
Acrobat 6.0 and then printed it???.....How very droll.
Scan it into a photo editor like Adobe Elements, Photoshop, Irfanview
etc. Then print it without resampling it. Use your printer's highest
quality setting. Your printer driver will resample the image to match
the printer's optimum output.
Remember, the image from your printer cannot possibly contain more image
information than the original. Your scanner and your printer would both
have to be PERFECT just to reproduce the same image quality as the original.
Bob Williams