Old January 15th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

Default TTL EXPOSURE METERING WITH NIKON F10?

On Jan 14, 10:09*pm, wrote:
I'm a newbie dummie but I put the right batteries in the NIKON F10 and
when I hit the shutter release no lighted up exposure metering
appeared in the NIKON TTL. Do I need to have film in the camera before
the exposure metering takes effect. They call the FM10 a manual camera
and it mainly is but it has all the unecessary **** on it the Pentax
K-1000 didn't have. You can properly expose manually usuing right film
speed and aperture and shutter speed without exposure metering.

Michael Ragland

Michael,
You might be a newbie, but I wouldn't say you are a dummy. Asking
questions is never dumb.
The FM-10 is a all manual camera. It is a basic SLR system for those
who are learning or who don't want all the bells and whistles on their
camera. It does have TTL metering and it reads in the view finder as -
(under exposure) o(correct exposure) or +(over exposure). The two lr44
or ms-76's or the 1/3n battery is there only to power the meter. When
you have the film wind lever open and away from the body and the
shutter release pushed half way to release the LED's in the viewfinder
should light up. The by changing the shutter speed or the aperture
ring on the lens you should see the LED's change.
Start with your ISO/ASA set at 400 and your shutter set at 200 and
the lens at f/16. Now change one and see what happens.

As for the little button on the bottom of the camera, it is there to
unlock the transport mech that winds the film in one direction. So you
can re-wind the film back into the canister by using the re-iwnd lever
on the knob. As for your shutter release nozzel, I'm not sure as to
what you mean. If I remember correctly there is a lock for the shutter
release button to keep it from engaging.
This camera is the best way of learning photography, when you are
learning in a class.

Hope this has answered some questions for you.

Draco