Old June 14th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default slew of camera options

In article MGyig.1365$OQ2.332@trndny08,
"snow" wrote:

I been looking for a new digital camera, preferably
with a 10x zoom or higher, but there is so many
companies offering them now. Which is best?
Canon, Kodak, Sony, Konica, HP, etc? Which to avoid?
Also, seems like some good buys on past models like the Konica Z2, but
perhaps it is best to go with the newer
technology like the Canon S2 or S3? Any comments appreciated.

The cameras today are so good that it's hard to go wrong. Every brand
has its fans and detractors. My suggestion is to buy the cheapest one
that you're looking at and take a few hundred pictures and find out what
you like or don't like, and then make the decision about the camera you
really want.

I hear that 10x zoom is hard to hold steady without a tripod, but maybe
the anti-shake technology has mooted that. With my first digital camera,
I learned that I hated HATED the lens cap on a string, and I hated the
long delay between pulling the trigger and the picture being taken. Both
those gripes were solved by the time I bought my next camera.