Old January 20th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nano

Default Organizing working images, archiving all images, what approach to take?

I'll check out iMatch, thanks.

In article ,
lid says...
In article ,
nano wrote:

OK, I'm curious, is there something logically impossible about owning a
5D and as a programmer being able to write something that helps with
archiving images?

Your posting might seem harsh to someone that has a clue what you're
about, but I'm just puzzled.

I'm not the person who posted that but ... it sounds like he was
implying (not very tactfully) that it is a huge project. I'd look at it
this way -- you might be able to purchase something for $65 which will
do what you want. That way you can spend your time taking photographs
instead of programming.

I'd look at programs like Lightroom, iView (now owned by Microsoft and
has a new name), Aperture, and iMatch. I haven't tried a demo recently
but when I looked at iMatch a year or two ago, it looked *very*
impressive for a reasonable price. I'm about to reassess the programs
out there and the first two I would look at today would be Adobe
Lightroom and iMatch.

In article ,

says...
So, you are using a 5D. You are also a programmer who maybe able to write
something that could help?

I really don't think so. I apologies if I am being harsh.

"nano" wrote in message
.net...
I'm curious to know how others are dealing with long term storage of
digital images? I'll lay out some of the factors as I see them.

I'm using a 5D, shooting raw most of the time.
Primary software is Photoshop CS2 and Canon's Digital Photo Professional
I tend to use 4gb memory

There are a lot of large files to grapple with.
I want to keep all images 'forever'.
I need to find archived images.
I would like to view thumbnails of archived images.
There are many images that are very similiar.
Some of the images are chosen to process further.
The images that get attention end up as jpg or tiff.

My current system is approx like so: