Old January 20th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nano

Default Organizing working images, archiving all images, what approach to take?

In article ,
says...
I use what used to be iView Media Pro and is now Microsoft (hiss! boo!)
Expression Media Pro since they bought it out.

The great benefit of Expression is that after I have prepped each shoot
or month of files, I do the annotation, keywords, etc in Expression and
create a modest sized catalogue. These small catalogues are kept
separately in the folders with the files for a year or so.

Every now and then I copy all work on a large HD, and while I keep the
files in their folders, I have one master catalogue file which is set to
auto update and search all folders on the HD. This reads off the
annotations, making all the images on the HD fully searchable by
caption, keywords, date, and whatever EXIF data I choose to use. I can
go to this HD at any time, open the catalogue in seconds, and find any
file or selection of files out of around 6000 now stored there as 17+
megapixel JPEGs.

iView also allowed me to run a script which converted all my early TIFFs
(getting just too big to store) into Level 12 JPEGs. It will also open
any file in a designated editor (Photoshop), create web galleries or
slideshows etc.

So far it has proved very efficient and the annotations have been
compliant with other external cataloguing.

David

Thanks everyone, those are helpful suggestions. I figured there must be
some programs out there that help with this issue but had not run into
the term Digital Asset Management. I've not been hobnobbing with
photographers much, this issue cause me to poke my head out of my
shell...I'm glad I did. I'll scope out the options and may post back
here if I have any questions.