Old June 22nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Default Photojournalists: HDV frame grabs

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
? "Ben Miller" ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...
Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?

It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774

I don't buy this hyperbole:

"This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."

But I think it is certainly worth discussion...

The photos are undoubtely excellent, very nice texture and colours, but why
use 35 mm anyway when there are so nice digital still cameras?Both my
camcorder (Sony DCR HC-32 E sd mini dv) and still camera are so small that I
can take both;-)While it's impossible to *use* both at the same time, using
them separately makes sense.I'm of course far off being a reporter,I'm
mainly a snapshot photographer, but anyway.....

I suspect where this'll be used is in some large news orgs. that have
both print and/or web plus broadcast operations. One interviewer, one
camera man. With an HD recorder, they can grab decent head shots or
scene setters off the live or recorded feed, and save the cost of a
second photog.

There are many times when this wouldn't work.

--
john mcwilliams