Old August 7th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clair Johnston

Default Suggestions for a *simple* point and shoot

ray wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:58:38 +0100, Dave wrote:

Following my questions about where to buy a D3, I now have another issue
- at the other end of the camera spectrum.

I'd like to buy my wife, who is retired, a point and shoot camera, but
she is not at all technical and has a strong dislike of gadgets. Ideally
I'd like something that flashes when it needs to without her having to
make a decision if it needs flash.

I'm looking for something with the least buttons, knobs or other
controls, so she has less chance of getting into a mess with it. I want
something quite compact too, but simplicity is more important than size
or picture quality.

Suggestions?

FWIW, I would not suggest the cheapest/simplest P&S. Let me give my
reasoning/experience.

I have been taking pictures for 45+ years and my wife has showed little
interest other than to critique. For Christmas 2006, our youngest son,
bought her a Nikon L6 (~$100). With little help from me she began
taking pictures with a vengeance and outgrew the camera by June. I
bought her a Panasonic TZ3 which she has learned to use a little bit at
a time and is now very interested in photography. She likes the smaller
size and the 10x zoom and has no interest in my DSLR's. Many of her
pictures rival (some exceed) mine. The only problem she has, is not
being able to control the focus accurately and anything requiring fast
response time.

Not being technical is not an inhibitor. If she has a desire to take
pictures, that is all that is needed. Also, be cautious with how you
offer help. Let her critique her own work and offer suggestions
reluctantly. My guess is she will surprise you.

Clair