Old September 13th 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Davoud

Default Viewing photos on a map

RJH:

I may be misremembering, but I'm sure the old iPhoto app on a Mac
allowed a 'map' view. Effectively a scalable map, with pins that
indicated where a photo was taken.

This seems to be missing from the newer Photos app. I've looked in the
help section, which apart from being inexplicably slow to use, shows
screenshots from a seemingly different application, and seems to suggest
it's not there. I can search by location, but there's no way to get this
map overview, which I found useful.

Is there an application for Mac that has this feature? Or am I missing
something?

To put it as succinctly as I can, what you are missing is Adobe
Lightroom. The longer you wait to switch from Photos to LR the more
difficult the switch will be. Photos will only continue to limit what
you can do.

This from personal experience--my wife and I both tried Photos and
found it to be very limiting; it is designed for the most casual of
users who has minimal knowledge and requirements and who does not
expect to go beyond that stage. The problem with that reasoning is that
photography is an activity that can draw one in deeper and deeper, and
Photos is not up to that.

My wife is continuing with Aperture for a while yet (it offers greater
versatility in making books than LR does) and I continued with LR,
which I began using several years ago when it became apparent to me
that Apple would drop out of the competition for a high-end cataloging
and editing package. Aperture was good, very good, probably the best
for several years but Apple's heart was not in it. That Apple worked
with Adobe to create a software solution to transition from Aperture to
LR tells us where Apple thought the serious user ought to go.

So you're down to Lightroom or Photo Mechanic. PM is OK, but Lightroom
is the top choice because it has behind it the weight of the world's
pioneering and premiere maker of graphics applications, it is the
market leader, and more help and tutorials are available than for any
competing software. For those who will not use LR or PS because they
are Adobe haters, get over it. You are cutting off your nose to spite
your face.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm