Old August 6th 13, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,
Savageduck[_3_]

Default O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

On 2013-08-06 04:41:18 -0700, Dudley Hanks
said:

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I've taken a small step over
to the dark side: I've picked up an iPad Mini...

Like most Apple devices I've worked with, it seems this one does
nothing extraordinarily well, but it is rather
versatile.

I purchased the device thinking that it would be a nice, portable
audio recording / editing platform, giving me the ability to
record interviews and then do a bit of clean up work regardless
of my location. Ditto for video.

Unfortunately, the memory limitations on these portables leaves
them a bit lacking when it comes to working with large files, as
does the hardware used.

Obviously, I haven't had the opportunity to try each and every
app out there, but I picked up a copy of "Garage Band" and
another sound app ("Audio Memo") which seem to have a nice
sampling of features.

The major obstacle I've encountered is that, in spite of
recording in 16-bit linear PCM format, actual sound quality is
quite poor when compared to a comprably priced netbook / portable
digital recorder, which is most likely do to the tiny microphone
used in either the device or the Apple-built headset I
chose.

If you are going to use iPad or iPad Mini for audio there are several
options to consider:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mic.php
http://www.alesis.com/iodock
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products...C=connectivity
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/

....and there are more.

The end result is that large files quickly fill the limited
resources of the iPad without actually capturing a file that
could be considered broadcast quality.

That is where Dropbox and some other cloud solutions can be useful with
the iPad memory limitations.

All in all, I have to say that I'm pleased with the iPad Mini,
not for what I purchased it for, but, rather, for the way it has
proven to help me with every day tasks I've been struggling with
for several decades.

Nice work, Apple.

Enjoy.

Savageduck