Old March 5th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

Default Color & B&W Densitometers

wrote:
Peter wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:07 pm, jay wrote:
Hi all
I want to buy a used color & B&W Densitometer that will work in both
the transmission & reflected mode @ a fairly low price. (Say $400)
I've visited X- Rites web site, & leave w/ my head spinning. I have
the impression that some are for continuous film or print reading,
some are automated for use w/ dies & inks that have little to do w/
photography, & some are for digital photography uses, & they all cost
thousands new. In order to have any idea what to buy, I need the specs
& / or advertising data when they were new. But I have no idea of
anything. I usually don't get this confused about a technology. But
this is amazing.
I've looked (on line) @ several Besslers, but some appear to have
vacuum tubes. I don't think vacuum tubes are made anymore. But I don't
know how to tell which are solid state from looking on line. I went to
Wikipedia & really wasn't able to find out much. Does any one have a
recommendation how I might sort all this info our & find some solid
data on possible candidates for my search. Or actual recommendations
would be appreciated, but not expected.
BWT where has this group gone? Where ever, I suppose that's where I
should post this.
Thanks, JD

There is a lot to know about densitometers. My guess is that looking
around and talking to various sources would be good advice. They
appear on eBay. In various countries there are photo flea markets or
camera shows. Sometimes they appear there.

I found an old Kodak densitometer for about $20 and played with it.
At the time I thought I wanted a better one. In the end I got a very
full featured modern densitometer for about $50 (a real bargain). For
most of what I do, the Kodak has shown itself to be just fine.

I'm not sure what you are doing, but my impression is that you can
spend a whole lot of money and not necessarily get much more.

Even the basic little ilford one works pretty good for me. I've used it
for when I have changed the filtration but wanted to keep the same
exposure (used it to adjust the f-stop after a filtration change) and
never had a problem. Those can be had for almost nothing on fleabay. I'm
not sure what the OP is wanting one to do for them?

Stephanie

If you're talking about the Ilford EM-10, then this is not a
densitometer but an enlarger meter.

A densitometer is a tool that reads a density, can be from a transparent
or opaque media, can be color or B/W. Some are specialized in UV
readings, others for printing (offset, ...).
Typical densitometers:
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=278

An enlarger meter, often coupled to a timer, is a tool that helps a
darkroom printer to find the good exposure time.
Typical enlarger meters:
http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/index.html

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch