Old March 21st 04, 09:11 PM
Jim Phelps

Default Ilfochrome, anyone?

"Laura Halliday" wrote in message
om...
I had my first experience with Ilfochrome printing
last night. Followed Ilford's instructions to the
letter, used my CPE-2 processor (EBay, y'know...),
and got decent prints from the start. They just look
a little funny because the borders around the edges
are black, not white.

My motivation was the poor quality of commercial
prints I had gotten from slides. Developing slide
film is dead easy; so far, printing it holds no
terrors either. I used the filter pack on the paper
package, and it looks about right. Maybe a touch
too yellow. Have to do some more prints to be sure.

The Ilford P30 instructions mention that the chemistry
may generate sulfur dioxide during processing. They're
not kidding. Phew!

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Laura,

You'll get the sulpher dioxide when the bleach and fixer mix. Carry over
is enough from step to step. If you contaminate the bleach with the fixer,
you can throw it out. My experience shows even the least amount of fixer
landing into the bleach destroys the bleach, but then again, I use P-3
chemistry.

The one thing you'll note is that the prints will be rather high
contrast. The only way around it is to mask. I've changed my habits and
only use slide film for those places where high contrast is desirable, and
then print on Ilfochrome. I love the prints. You're right, it's not hard,
just expensive.

Jim